Monday, July 19, 2010
asylum seeker facts
- The vast majority of people seeking asylum in Australia arrive by plane.
- 95% of asylum seekers arriving by boat are found to be genuine refugees.
- Just 3441 asylum seekers were given refugee status in Australia last year, roughly 1% of the total migration program for that year.
- In comparison, around 50,000 people over-stayed their visa last year alone – mostly people with business, student or holiday visas.
- Australia only accepts 1% of the worlds’ refugees.
- At the current rate of refugee arrivals, it would take 20 years to fill the MCG.
- It is not illegal to arrive in Australia seeking asylum.
- Ruth, part of genealogy of Jesus, was a refugee.
- Moses was seeking asylum when he fled Egypt.
- So was Jesus when his parents fled from Herod’s military might.
Sorry, I’m sure this issue is more complex than such simple sound bites.
Posted by steve at 06:03 PM
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.